Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reader's Response 'Two Kinds'

1. Just like Jing Mei, We have lived in America.

2. Just like Jing Mei, I sometimes disagree with my parent's opinion.

3. My mom also have pushed me too hard so I can do something better, it gave me a lot of stress.

4. I also used to play piano and got tired of it. After that event, I lost my interest of playing piano.

5. Just like Jing Mei, I have disappointed my parents.

6. I also wasn't satisfied with my life and complaint about how horrible my life was.

My personal perspective: I personally thought that this story was very unique compared to the other short stories I have read before. It is because her life and her view of the world was almost as same as my idea. She thinks that she is not a genius and that if she cannot succed, it isn't worth trying. I also used to think the same way. When my mom decided to teach me math when I was young, I hated it, because I knew I wasn't very good at math and nothing seemed to be improving as I studied math. I was very upset due to the fact that all my time and hard work was for nothing. I also complaint and get mad at my life if things didn't turn out the way that I have wanted. I think that this story is almost identical to the childhood that I had as a elementary school kid. Also, story was very easy to understand because every event was very clear. I was able to see wheter it was the climax


My personal perspective:Well, this story was pretty funny to me. I know, funny isn't really the first adjective that comes to mind when thinking of "Two Kinds", but it was to me. It was, because these thoughts that kept running through Jing-Mei's mind, were identical to mine. She kept thinking "I'm not a genius, I can't do this, so I might as well not try," and my thoughts are "I'm not good at this, why am I doing it?" There are really sometimes when I think this. I'm not quite at giving up, but still, it was so funny to me how I could connect so well with a character's feelings. "Two Kinds" is a story about a girl and her mother. The mother wanted her daughter to become a prodigy, to become famous, but the girl gave up trying, thinking that she couldn't be anyone else but herself. And eventually, her mother gave up to. She started piano lessons, but then gave up on it. And years later, when she is back on the piano her parents had bought, she realizes she had a natural talent. It was just that she never cared enough to try. It was a good story; the rising action added to the conflict and it was sad reading the climax scene. I was shocked she could take the feelings in my head and carry them out to that extreme extent. But this story was a very interesting one that I won't forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment