1. A literary theme is an idea about us that the author is trying to express to the readers through the text. But it is slightly different from the idea because the idea that they are trying to tell us aren’t always literal. You have to figure out what it actually is by analyzing the story of the text. This literary theme is infinite. Everybody should be able to make different connections based on their personality, life experience, etc. These are three statements that I will use as an example. Nothing lasts forever, pen is stronger than sword, and How you live makes who you are.
2. The theme of my life would be this. “Success comes from failure”. The reason that this is my theme is because every single time I have tried something before I worked on it, I failed. For example, I failed on my first practice meet at the cross country. My time for 5k run was miserable compared to my peers, and I was dissatisfied with what I have done. So I worked on it to get better. Now that I am 9th grader, I again joined the cross country team and checked my time. It was reduced by five minutes. From that point, I knew what they exactly meant by practice makes it perfect. You cannot succeed without failing (practicing).
3. It might be different compared to other’s opinion, but I would say that theme of God’s plan for this world would be “Have faith in God, and you will be rewarded”. In this world, lots of terrible thing that made us despair and miserable. Every time such tragedies happened, people blamed god for their misfortune. But through holy bible, God has told us that Jesus has saved us from our sin by his sacrifice, and that he will give us a life of eternity. If you read the bible, you can notice that he tries to mention this theme from the beginning of the Genesis. So the conclusion is that if we believe in him, no matter what happens to us, he will give the life of eternity. You will become children of God and you will live happily ever after loving him.
1. If you want to find the theme in a story first, you have to read the text. Then, you have to analyze the story. For example, settings, what characters do, what they say and how they think. Through analyzing these components, you will be able to find out how author thinks and acts toward his or her belief. Also, I think that character makes most influence on the theme of the story since everything is based on that certain person. Lastly, you need to take out all the ideas that I have mentioned above and briefly conclude a theme of the story.
2. I say that the theme of ‘The Utterly Perfect Murder’ is that nothing lasts forever. As you know, on the beginning of the story Doug suddenly remembers Ralph bullying him and ruining his reputation during his childhood in his 40th birthday. He decides to kill Ralph due to all the embarrassment and sorrow he had gone through. When he visits Ralph and put his hand on his pistol, he is shocked. He realizes that Ralph looks much more miserable than him and that this misery started when he moved away. He isn’t mad at Ralph anymore. He is sorry that he left Ralph and made him miserable, and at the end, he decides not to kill Ralph. This clearly shows that his feeling toward Ralph had dramatically changed. Through this you can see that something changed.
3. Moral of a story is same thing as a lesson of a story. It is what you learn after reading the text. It teaches you something that you can understand from life. But theme is different. It sometimes doesn't teach you stuff. Unlike theme, for moral, you don't need to analyze the texts to figure out the lesson. It usually describes the moral literally during or at the end of the story. Moral usually shows what we are supposed to do to fit in and become a good person. But theme, it just shows what exsists in this world. In conclusion, I would say that moral tell us what to do and teach us something that can lead us to a good person, while theme just express what that is. Moral is the unchanging truth when theme is someone's thought toward something.
4. I think it is, because what this verse is saying is that God has given us Jesus so he can sacrifice for our sin. For people who have gratefully accepted His forgiveness, they will be saved and live a life of eternity, while people who has abandoned him will not be saved. This might relate to the truth we might find in literature. ‘There is no such thing as free ride’. Just like Jesus has sacrificed for us, we should have faith in him, and appreciate him for what he has done for us. We get from what we give. Also, sacrificing for the others is one of the most common conflicts or climax you can find in a book (or movies :]). People usually consider that making decisions for others hard. I think that this is why it is one of the most common conflicts you can find. I think that this is how John 3:16 makes connection with the literature and themes.
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment